Friday, March 19, 2010

Surprise! It's a playground!

Well...Kirk and I have been thinking about getting a playground for the backyard for sometime now. We do live extremely close to a really nice park that is in walking distance and another one in our neigborhood--also in walking distance, but I was really craving the convenience of opening the back door and letting him play. Plus our backyard was looking kind of boring and needed some color. My main requirement was that I wanted something sturdy and heavy. After the last hurricane and seeing all the broken wooden playgrounds sitting out with the trash...it was easy to tell what kind would survive if it needed to. Also...I really wanted someone else to assemble it. I know Kirk could do it...but I have heard too many horror stories of horrible directions and a million little pieces.
When the guys arrived on Wednesday, I didn't know how long it would take...but 2 hours later it looked great! (See Lola at the bottom right again sneaking into our pictures. I really need to make my next post about our treasured family pet. :)
I picked up Grant from daycare and I told him I had a surprise waiting for him. He didn't really seem to care, because he was watching the movie Cars in the car. He is a little obsessed and points to the TV whenever we enter my car and says Cars. His new bedroom with a big boy bed will be devoted to the movie. Pictures to come soon because it needs a few more finishing touches. When he saw the playground he was pretty excited and he went right to playing and running around. Here are some of his first moments on his new toy.


And believe it or not...Grant can do the rock wall by himself. It does require close parent supervision, but I was really surprised!
Ah...I love being a suburban mom where a playgound can bring so much pride and joy to a family!

5 comments:

Mom S said...

Poor deprived Kirk -
he was forced to climb the
shelves in the pantry. Of
course the pay-off was he
could eat anything he could reach!
Kirk worked around any amount
of parental supervision.

Christa O'Brien said...

Wow! Lucky Grantie, that looks super fun! I know what you mean about convenience of letting your kid just run out into the backyard and knowing for the most part, that they are safe. Looks like you'll need a trampoline next :).

KIRK S. said...

christa, trampoline's, chainsaws, and shotguns are 3rd birthday gifts - silly =)

Christa O'Brien said...

You know I always mix up second and third birthday traditions! I remember my first shotgun as if it were yesterday...

Lindsey said...

That is such a nice playground! Good job guys! I am sure Grant LOVES it!